If, like us, you’re interested in staying on top of the paint, construction and design industry for news and inspiration, then check out these industry leaders. They’ve hit the nail on the head when it comes to sharing great ideas and relevant industry news on social media! These experts are ones to watch and follow on Twitter in the New Year.
Sarah Richardson is the Canadian Queen of Interior Design and our go-to expert when selecting a fresh colour palette. Richardson tweets almost daily and her articles are rich with design inspiration, colour scheme ideas and painting tips. Richardson believes that “there’s no better to way to add character and personality to your home than by painting your walls in a rich mix of colours,” and most articles link back to her website, which hosts a whole section dedicated to Paint Pick Me Up. Tips include:
- Focus on Fabric – Make your fabric story the star of your décor scheme by pulling out your favourite accent colour and applying it your walls to tie it all together.
- Install a chair rail – If you’re working with a bold palette and don’t want to overpower the room, install a chair rail and paint the lower section in an intense hue, while keeping the upper portion light.
- Balance is key – As a general rule, the darker paint shade is usually applied to the lower portion of the wall to keep the weight at the bottom of the room and not make the ceilings feel lower.
- Stick with similar tones – For best results when mixing and matching colours try to select shades that all have a similar tonal intensity so the end result creates a natural flow from one area to the next and the colours work together in perfectly balanced harmony.
Benjamin Moore are experts of colour and style, and have been a trusted supplier of quality paints since 1883. With sophisticated and durable products that both homeowners and professionals rely on, the colour experts at Benjamin Moore “bring colours together to form collections in masterful ways.”
Benjamin Moore aims to help customers understand colour trends and theory, so that they can feel comfortable exploring different combinations and selecting the perfect palettes for their homes. Benjamin Moore tweets several times a week, linking to helpful articles and posting tips to assist with colour selection: “When it comes to choosing colour, it’s actually quite simple: trust your instincts. Your sense of colour confidence comes from taking a close look at what colours you already gravitate towards – and love being surrounded by – then embracing the design possibilities they present.”
Pantone is known as the “global authority on color” and is likely most famous to homeowners for announcing the ‘Pantone Color of the Year’ annually since 2000. Pantone is an international trendsetter, choosing colours that “reflect the current cultural climate,” and historically, the hue selected as the Color of the Year has influenced the design world in all facets, including architecture, interior décor and fashion. The colour chosen for 2017 was Greenery – we wonder what will be announced for 2018? Follow Pantone on twitter to find out!
If like us, you’re a painting professional then we recommend:
The Blogging Painters are a self-described “eclectic group of business owners who are passionate about the painting industry.” With a thriving online community for painting professionals, their main focus is to encourage industry experts to embrace social media and online marketing by writing and networking blogs in order to “gain credibility and differentiation within the paint industry.”
The Blogging Painters have positioned themselves as a valuable resource and safe place for talented painters and writers to come together and share their knowledge and learn “technical skills to create and maintain a blog.” The account links to hundreds of blog posts covering a wide variety of interesting topics, including:
- How to Boost your Painting Business via Instagram
- Be Fully Engaged in Managing Your Reputation
- Hiring, Firing and Training
- Why Your Painting Customers Aren’t Loyal
- If You’re Not Making Videos, You Should Be
The Blogging Painters is an account to follow if you are interested in increasing your digital footprint, learning about the influence of social media or engaging with other like-minded professionals.
PaintSquare is a free “online hub for the protective and marine coatings industry,” offering complete coverage of products and services, suppliers, technical information and industry news. For those in the coatings industry, PaintSquare is the mothership of resources and information! Online features include interactive polls and quizzes; e-tools and instructional videos; and problem-solving forums where members can pose questions and search peer responses.
Their website features a Video Learning Center, which offers a variety of videos, spanning multiple topics including:
- Surface Preparation
- Environmental Health and Safety
- Coatings Technology
- Inspections, and more
PaintTalk.com is another free online community, however it is generalized and geared for all professional painting contractors. Forums and discussion threads encourage industry experts to trade knowledge and develop relationships, while the posted articles are practical, informative and fun! Articles and member forum threads posted to the PaintTalk.com Twitter account include:
- Who’s Responsible When Materials Fail?
- 4 Receipt Storage Solutions for Painters
- Primer for Drywall in Bathroom
- 5 Reasons to Buy Your Own Paint Shaker.
If you are on the hunt for an established, well-respected content writer and marketer for your business – look no further than Deb Carpenter-Beck’s Twitter account. Carpenter-Beck is a content strategist and writer, combining her “freelance journalism skills, broad-based marketing experience, and industry knowledge to drive content marketing efforts for companies in the construction industry.” She posts fascinating articles that cover a variety of topics, including:
- Tips on How to Engage with the Public on Construction Projects
- What to Consider Before Splitting Up a Subcontractor’s Scope of Work
- Veterans and the Construction Industry: A Perfect Match
- Emerging Trends Around Talent Development in Construction.
Last, but not least, American Painting Contractor (APC) Magazine has a social media presence that cannot be missed. APC Magazine is “the #1 resource for painting contractors, delivering a national magazine, e-newsletter and web site” free of charge for professional painters. APC has a long and trusted history, providing resources and assistance to contractors for over 90 years.
APC has a membership of nearly 2,000 contractors across Canada and the United States, who participate in education programs, attend local networking meetings, use PDCA Industry Standards and connect with industry manufactures and suppliers.
Follow these industry experts and @RefinedPaint on Twitter for the most up-to-date paint, construction and design inspiration for 2018!