If you’re looking to give a modern facelift to your century home, consider an exterior paint job. It is a lot of work, but it’s worth the time and money. Not only will you breathe new life in your home and protect it from the elements, you’ll also significantly increase its’ value. Plus, you’ll be able to get an up-close look at any exterior repairs that should be done.
First, Ask Yourself These Questions
Before you begin the process of painting the exterior of your century home, there are a few questions you need to consider:
- When was your home built?
- What material is your home made of?
- What type of paint is on the exterior of your home?
- What colour will go with the architectural design and layout of your home?
- Do you want to use multiple colours?
- What kind of paint will work best on each part of your home?
- Will any repairs need to be done first?
- Will you need to build scaffolding (likely)?
- What type of prep work is involved?
- What is your timeline?
You’ll want to know the answer to as many of these questions as possible before you begin to interview potential painting companies. Painting the exterior of a century home is a huge undertaking and there’s no room for error. Start with a well-laid plan and communicate your expectations to the team you hire. Trusting professionals to ensure the job is done right offers you piece of mind and will ensure the best results possible.
Not a DIY Project
There are few reasons that it’s best to leave the exterior of your home to an experienced team like Refined Painting. Besides ensuring high-quality results, reducing stress, offering suggestions based on years of experience and saving time, our team will:
- Identify any structural issues we may find (like rot or decay) and recommend the appropriate professional to solve the issue.
- Use the right materials and techniques to restore your home to its original beauty
- Put safety first, always
- Put quality first – we have contractors build the scaffolding necessary to reach every nook and cranny of your home, no matter how difficult it is to reach.
- Respect your property and keep it clean.
Experience to Overcome Painting Challenges
If you live in a century home, then it’s likely that you or a previous owner has had the home painted and re-painted at least a few times in the past. Tackling these previous paint jobs with proper techniques is critical and often time consuming.
Peeling paint can be a real eyesore that must be addressed. To tackle this issue, we’ll use a wire brush or paint scraper and remove all the peeling paint by hand. Then we’ll sand and clean the affected area.
Water damage is another challenge that must be addressed before painting can begin. If the damage is extensive then a contractor will need to first fix the structural damage.
Meticulous is Best
It’s important to be meticulous when painting the exterior of a century home. Our team will scrape off all the old paint (often by hand), fill all holes and cracks, clean the surface, sand (often by hand), and apply any necessary protective layers, stains or primers before painting. If the surface we are painting was originally done with an oil-based paint, then we’ll apply a bonding primer first. This helps the paint adhere to the surface.
Need professional advice? Contact the experts at Refined Painting if you are looking to transform the exterior of your century home. We’ll provide your home with the meticulous care and attention it deserves.